Diploma mills and fake online “colleges” and “universities” are increasingly rising (Noble, 1998; Noble, 2002). A number of phony online “institutions” advertised online are unaccredited and defrauding people. Revolutionary Paideia has reported about one of these fake “institutions,” Rochville University. The accreditation and reaccreditation process is engaged in to protect the public’s trust in a degree. Many online universities are legitimate accredited higher education institutions. Two examples of legitimate accredited online higher education institutions are Walden University and Capella University.
Before you invest your time and money in obtaining a degree completely online, be sure to check with the United States Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) to ascertain if the online institution of your choice is accredited by the Department of Education and/or one of the legal accrediting bodies (which one can find out by going to the CHEA website). On the CHEA website, one can find papers, videos, resources and etc. about accreditation and diploma mills.
Additionally, Craig Mayfield has published a valuable explanation of accreditation at http://www.onlinemba.com/guide/. Once on the site, scroll down and you will find his work on accreditation under the section, “All About Accreditation.” You will be pleased with the information Craig Mayfield provides about accreditation. He even provides information about the legal accrediting agencies. Legal accrediting agencies determine which institutions will be accredited and which will not be accredited.
It’s important for degree-seekers to understand they cannot receive a legal accredited degree by receiving all, most, or a substantial credit for “life experience.” When you see “life experience” advertised in exchange for a degree, you need to know someone is attempting to scam you. Don’t be fooled! Too many people have contacted Revolutionary Paideia about being scammed by fake “universities,” so please don’t become the next victim.
Dr. Antonio Maurice Daniels
University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Download the Report: CHEA Issues CHEA Initiative Final Report (distance-educator.com)
- Accreditation: Something better will replace it (studentforce.wordpress.com)
- Wyoming fights diploma mill website (billingsgazette.com)
- Degree Loopholes Exposed (socyberty.com)
- Getting Yourself Fake Transcript Online (noveltydiploma.typepad.com)
- Finding the Right Fake Degree Vendor (noveltydiploma.typepad.com)
- Is Internet Education Legitimate? (cruiselyna.com)
- The 30 Biggest Myths About Online Learning (edudemic.com)
- 30 Myths About eLearning That Need To Die In 2013 (classroom-aid.com)