As many K – 12 and college students are returning to class, it’s never too early to begin thinking about the various tests they will have to take and the necessary preparation for those tests. The purpose of this piece is to offer nine quality tips for improving one’s chances of being successful on tests.
1. Get plenty of sleep and a good meal. You can ruin your chances of not passing an exam by simply not getting enough sleep and not having a good meal before you take the exam. On the day you take an exam, you should be sure to eat a healthy breakfast. The breakfast will help you to feel your best. Additionally, don’t stay up studying so long the night before the exam that you’re too exhausted to stay focused on the exam the next day.
2. Bring everything you need to the testing site.
3. Remain calm. Don’t place so much pressure on yourself that you’re not even able to perform well.
4. Read the directions on the exam carefully.
5. Read all the answers in multiple-choice questions.
6. Answer all questions. Unless you’re taking an exam where you will be penalized more for an incorrect response than no answer at all, you have nothing to lose by guessing.
7. Read true-false questions carefully.
8. Organize your thoughts before responding to essay questions.
9. Review your responses after you’ve completed the exam.
Antonio Maurice Daniels
University of Wisconsin-Madison