It’s becoming increasingly clear that many Catholic priests aren’t able to abstain from desiring and having sexual intercourse. Unfortunately, a number of them have elected to have sex with children, which, of course, is child molestation. For those Catholic priests who want to marry and have sex, they should be allowed. A change in the celibacy doctrine for Catholic priests will improve the image, mission and purpose of the Catholic Church. While it’s certainly possible to remain faithful to a lifelong commitment to celibacy, those Catholic priests who cannot persist to honor this vow are attempting to hide their inability to keep this vow. By having sex with innocent children, they think their misdeeds will go unrecognized. Fortunately, their unlawful actions are being exposed.
During the current election process of a new Pope, Catholic leaders need to select someone who will help the Catholic Church to take a serious stand against child molestation. It’s also vital for the next Pope to begin a candid global discourse about allowing priests to marry and have sex if they desire. Although many will be resistant to giving priests the authority to marry and have sex, this is the right thing for the Catholic Church to do. If the Catholic Church does not take meaningful steps to end child molestation from within its borders, then the Catholic Church will inevitably become associated with evil instead of good.
Why continue a practice that causes more harm than good?
Antonio Maurice Daniels
University of Wisconsin-Madison
- ‘Sex Pest’ or Celibacy? (theonlywai.com)
- Choosing Celibacy – an OpEd by The NYT (smritidisaac.wordpress.com)
- Britain’s top Catholic says priests should be allowed to marry (independent.co.uk)
- Is it even possible to live a celibate life? (bbc.co.uk)
- Allow Catholic priests to marry, urges Cardinal Keith O’Brien (guardian.co.uk)
- Priests should be allowed to marry and have sex, says Cardinal (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Polish Priest Argues That Gays Are to Blame for Catholic Church Sex Scandals (patheos.com)
- Pope Benedict To Be Given Global Immunity From Catholic Church Sex Crime Prosecution (charlog.me)
- Married Catholic priest a possibility? (wcpo.com)